Thursday, September 1, 2011

Not the Prettiest

I have no illusions... I know I'm not usually the prettiest woman in the room.  I wish I was one of those with the exotic vibe or the dark hair and striking blue eyes... On the the girls with the hair that never looks messy or the one who always has a Colgate smile.  It's just not me, I hold my own in a lot of areas and always try but I am just normal...

[My little man & I last weekend]

Some things you have I may not, and some things I have you most likely do not... But I've come to realize one thing is very important, possibly the most important... And the great news is: we can all have the most important part!  I know it's a cliché but the most important part of beauty is on the inside.  I know, beauty on the inside can't make that wart on the nose disappear and no matter how much we wish it would help that snaggle-tooth, it's not gonna happen... That takes money, ha!  But just as much as that "inner beauty" can't help the outside... The "outside beauty" of a person can't fix the "inner ugly."  Can I get an amen from men and women alike who have almost slipped in the puddle of drool from that hottie that just crossed our path but once they've opened their mouth a couple of times the troll appears and we can't believe there was any attraction in the first place? "AMEN!"

"No amount of makeup can conceal an ugly heart..." tweeted by TheSingleWoman

We all have a little bit of "people pleaser" in us but we can't allow ourselves to worry about pleasing people to the point we forget about who we are on the inside... Or never find out who we are to become because we were too busy trying to be what everyone else expects us to be.  And just an interjection... We are all still on that road to becoming (unless we've given up or got lost) and no matter how great we are there is some area we just haven't "arrived" yet.  So I'm not talking about perfection... Instead I'm talking about awareness of that inner beauty and those little quirks we still have to work on, an honesty with ourselves that we are not perfect and finally a commitment to ourselves on becoming more beautiful with a plan to work on it each day.

I don't know what that area is for you, I'm not sure what buttons get pushed for you or what chip you have on your shoulder that causes you to lose sight of who you want to be and the importance of being a "good person" and "beautiful person" at your core... I know it's not fun to talk about, think about or worse yet, be told about (which has happened to me on a couple of occasions)... I know your initial reaction is anger, an excuse or two, to point out fault with everyone else around then to sweep your "not so serious as their issue" under the proverbial rug... But let's not do that this time... Let's take a minute and give thought to some things we want to change about who we are on the inside and then put those thoughts into action and change ourselves!

You know, I'm pretty proud of who I'm becoming. I like her, she's nicer, tries to be sweet to people when they aren't expecting it, cares about people... Sometimes even when she doesn't feel cared about herself.  She is considerate of others (which is a big one,) she doesn't put herself above others, refuses to look down her nose at people who are not just like her. She simply does not assume that someone is wrong, bad, not a good person or christian (whatever the label or category you would like to pick) just because she sees one thing she doesn't like about someone, something they lack or aren't doing that they should or something they are doing that she wouldn't consider, whether it be circumstance or action... And if she does notice someone who is doing something that could harm them in some personal way or she notices them not doing something that could help them she reaches out to them and allows them to take her hand of trust and help instead of slapping them down with nasty comments.  And the one thing I like most about her is that she's becoming that person that anyone would be lucky to have in their life, she has a warm heart and a beautiful soul to offer to the man of her dreams someday (and yes, I am feeling a little sappy at the moment ha!)  "Side note for 'him': Come win that beautiful heart. :o)"

Again, I am just like you, I haven't arrived but I've been working on my inner beauty for a while.... It's really important to me.  Inner beauty is what makes you a great friend, daughter/son, mother/father, soul mate and person in general.  The reason I'm sharing this thought is to try to inspire you to work on you while I work on me!  It really is important and more than that, it will actually make you feel better about yourself... After a little while of working on it you will see progress and start to appreciate the journey, it will give you something to be proud of and to share with others! Let's do this :o)

Love yas! I really do!
Suzie-K

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SueAnn ;P I really enjoyed this blog soooo much. This is my ultimate fav of yours. I read through this so smoothly. Your writting abilities are amazing. You are helping spurt a growth within myself as well. Thank you

Amber price said...

Something I think a lot of us can agree on!

Faith Shannon said...

Hey! This blog is great! Just thought you would lIke to know! Thank you for reminding me of my inner beauty!